An American slasher film of the early 2000s.
At least that was the first thing I knew about hostels as a teenager.
When I booked my trip to Europe last July, I planned for a backpacking trip. I wanted to travel lightly (as light as a vacation in the winter would allow). I knew that I could not afford to stay in hotels. I was too afraid to stay in an AirBnB with strangers or by myself. My only known option was to stay in a hostel. I knew that I could not feed my fears about hostels, so I purposely avoided the urge to rewatch the 2005 horror film. I also had to get over my perception that hostels were for free-spirited teens and 20 somethings, not for professional women in their 30s, right?
I quickly found out that everything I thought I knew about hostels were wrong. While searching for lodging I came across the ever so popular website, Hostelworld! Quickly, my fears fleeted my from my mind. The hostels were so nice! So modern, so hip and refreshing!
So here are my top 30 reasons why people over 30 should stay in a hostel:
- Hostels are a great place for solo travelers
- Hostels make it easy to meet new people
- Hostels are very safe
- Hostels offer WiFi
- Hostelworld.com features hostels from all over the world
- Hostels are great ways to make new lifelong friends
- Hostel-mates are very respectful of quiet hours (mine were at least)
- Hostels are often located near main attractions or transportation
- Hostels are cheaper than hotels
- Hostel guests are all ages from 20s to 60s
- Hostels can offer transportation services to and from the airport
- Hostels are great if you are traveling to multiple cities or countries
- Hostels often offer tours, bar crawls, and other activities if you did not plan a full itinerary
- Hostels are a great way to find a travel partner(s) for a day or for your entire stay
- Hostels often have their own bars
- Hostels offer breakfast, lunch, and dinner or snacks
- Hostels have kitchens to allow a healthier option for travelers
- Hostel staff speak multiple languages
- Hostels offer ensuite rooms and rooms without a bathroom or shower
- Hostels offer private rooms
- Hostels offer lockers for your personal belongings and valuables
- Hostel staff make the bed and clean the bathroom everyday (just like a hotel)
- Hostels will hold your luggage before check-in and/or after your check-out until you need to go to the airport
- Hostel staff keep track of all guests to make sure they return each night
- Hostels do not have a curfew (at least the two stayed at did not)
- Hostels may provide laundry facilities
- Hostels are a great way to immerse yourself into different cultures
- Hostels offer private reading lamps, plugs, and USB ports for each traveler
- Hostels offer board games, playing cards, and books
- You’d be surprised to find how many 30 somethings are staying in hostels. I encourage you to book for your next trip!
One Comment Add yours
I was certainly glad to see that your experience with hostels was different than the movie! And I was surprised to learn that there are hostels in the U.S. its nice to know that there are so many safe and inexpensive travel option out there.